In the case of parental impairment, absence or inability to take care of a child, an adult friend or family member may petition the court to assume guardianship over the child. A guardian of a minor (under 18 years old) has the powers and responsibilities similar to those of a parent concerning the child’s wellbeing, including support, welfare, education, and health.

At all times, guardians must act in the child’s best interests. Our office has extensive experience assisting family members, particularly grandparents, in obtaining guardianship over a child whose parent is incapable of proper care of that child.